Saturday, March 3, 2012

Baking a Steak?

I went grocery shopping today and decided to treat myself to a juicy steak for dinner. I bought a giant steak (for around $5 - no idea what cut or quality... I don't have a refined palate in this regard).

I tried out a cooking method that I never tried before and it was very successful.

Procedure:
First, marinate your steak. I used a bit of worcestershire sauce, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper (this is how my dad always preps steaks). Next, move your oven rack to the highest slot and set your oven to broil on high. Oil up your cast iron skillet and place your meat on it. Put the pan into the oven and cook each side about 4-5 mins (this gave me a medium-rare, but each oven is different - monitor that shit). Be careful not to burn yourself when flipping the steak. I used my thickest oven mitt to slide the rack out and long tongs to flip the meat. Those cast iron skillets get mad hot. Finally, remove from oven & pan, let rest and enjoy!

Sizzle

I finished off my meal with steamed asparagus (seems like I always do, huh... it was on super sale so I have a ton of it) and horseradish sauce (not pictured). 

HUGE meat!

It was a very big portion so I am going to slice up the rest and put it on a salad or in a burrito in the next day or so. I was very pleased with how this came out. It is really great to have that hot off the grill sort of vibe for a meal without having to fire up the grill outside in the frigid San Diego weather (it was 75 degrees today...).

I only ate half

Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments. 

No comments: