Thursday, March 3, 2011

Turkey Rice Bowl

I have become a big fan of cooking some ground turkey with minimal seasoning and dressing it up in different dishes as a way to have a home cooked meal quickly. Tonight I did just that.

I combined about 1/2 cup of Basmati rice, fresh diced tomatoes, my pre-made ground turkey with a dash of soy sauce to create a quick little dinner bowl. It was a bit of bland one, but not too awful. I will probably have some veggies or fruit after my workout to finish this meal off. 
Warning: Spice Well to Avoid Blandness


My always on hand ground turkey recipe:

1.25 lbs ground extra lean turkey
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
salt
pepper
Store bought seasoning mix (I mix it up with Italian, Poultry [less salt in that case], lemon pepper etc)

In a skillet, heat up about a teaspoon of olive oil and add onion. Cook until slightly translucent. Add turkey, salt, pepper and seasoning. Cook until done. Be sure to mix well as you cook to ensure even distribution of flavors. Cool and store.

It is important to note that turkey can be pretty bland, so you should not be afraid of spicing it well. Also make sure you have some bold other flavors when you use it as a base for your other meals or in bowls like the one I made tonight.



No comments: