Saturday, March 5, 2011

Baked Salmon, Potato Pancakes and Cauliflower

I baked some salmon tonight for dinner. The usual process and I used italian seasoning, onions, salt, pepper, olive oil and a tiny bit of butter to season.

The more interesting part of dinner was the potato pancakes. I bought this mix because it was extra on sale and didn't have too many calories per serving. It was really easy to make, but the results were mediocre. You mix an egg, water and the potato mix packet together. Let it stand to thicken, then stir once more and fry in a thin layer of oil (I used low cholesterol veggie oil). Cook until golden brown and serve. Note: you should drain off the extra oil by placing the pancakes on paper towel when you take them out of the pan. They tasted okay - kind of bland and I ended up using a bit of ketchup on them. If I ever make these again, real potatoes for sure.

Salmon, Potato Pancakes and Cauliflower
Finally, the veggie tonight was cauliflower. I have become addicted to the Green Giant Just For One single serving frozen vegetables. They have a few different varieties and they are low calorie items. I am sure the cheese sauce is fake, but it doesn't taste terrible. I am hoping they come out with Just For Ones that don't have the sauce so I can season the single serving steamed veggies with other things. Fingers crossed! Other steamer bags of veggies always end up being too much and the left overs never keep well. Maybe I am destroying the environment with the single serving packaging, but these are just so damn perfect for me.

No comments: