Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One Less

So I had an appointment with my doctor today for a physical and pap smear. Things are going well, I suppose and will get the results of my vagina cell swabbing in 2 weeks. BTW vaginal exams suck.

I opted to get the first of three injections of Gardasil today. It is a vaccination against 4 strains of HPV (human papillomavirus) which are known to cause cervical cancer and genital warts. The benefits are clear and proven, but my main concern is that the drug hasn't been out that long and there isn't really a longitudinal study to determine if it affects fertility or causes any other long term side effects. So far, so good though.

I hope I won't end up with some unwanted condition years down the road because of this. Or have deformed babies.

I worry that it will turn out like Thalidomide, tough it is unlikely because this treatment is not given during pregnancy.

Other than that, I completely forgot to talk to my doctor about my low hemoglobin issues. Whoops!

I was given a clean bill of health, pending my test results. So yay.

No comments: