Tuesday, September 6, 2011

For the Lulz

I had been eagerly anticipating Epic Win for Anonymous for sometime now and when it arrived on Friday I could barely hold back, but PB with coworkers (p.s. I am officially not cut out for that town), then Saturday football & Sunday aftermath prevented me from delving in.

However, Labor Day meant that I could dedicate some serious time to Cole Stryker's little ode to 4chan. I didn't originally plan to read it all in one sitting (and truthfully, I finished the last chapter after work today) but I found myself unable to pull myself away except for a quick trip outdoors (only to be foiled by rain) & a trip to the store for food (and again, if I am going to be honest, I actually did a lot of other stuff like wash dishes, clean my apartment, frame a print, watch television [including the Fast and the Furious], pay bills, re-organize a shelf in my storage closet, read & share a bunch on google reader, buy some sandals at Sports Chalet, etc etc - seize the day!). 

While the book wasn't exactly what I expected, it was entertaining, informative and thought provoking nonetheless. You all should pick up a copy (or if you are nice to me, I will let you borrow mine). 


Top things we can discuss once you've read it:
1. memes
2. trolling
3. anonymity, authenticity, identity and creativity
4. content or creators - who wins?
5. anonymous vs. Anonymous

Enjoy the lulz and I look forward to discussing.

No comments: